Monday, May 23, 2011

Harold Camping ‘Flabbergasted’ That Rapture Did Not Occur

Harold Camping ‘Flabbergasted’ That Rapture Did Not Occur: "

largeThe most amazing part? The response from his followers, many of whom drained their life savings in anticipation: “I don’t think I am going to stop listening to him…I gotta listen to him on Monday, see what he says on the radio.” Via the Atlantic Wire:


Harold Camping emerged from his Alameda, California home yesterday to face reporters for the first time since the Rapture that never happened. Wearing a light jacket and speaking over chirping birds, Camping told the San Francisco Chronicle he was “flabbergasted” that the world did not end on Saturday. “I’m looking for answers,” he told the reporter. “But now I have nothing else to say. I’ll be back to work Monday and will say more then.” Camping followers are similarly perplexed. “I don’t think I am going to stop listening to him,” one man added, heaving a deep sigh before continuing: “I don’t know, I gotta listen to him on Monday, see what he says on the radio.


Camping’s relative silence since Saturday’s anti-climactic continuation of life on Earth weighs heavy on his followers’ confidence. Robert Fitzpatrick, the 60 year-old retired New York transit worker who spent $140,000 on billboards for the coming apocalypse, responded with bewilderment as well. “I can’t tell you what I feel right now,” he told a crowd of reporters and tourists in Times Square Saturday evening. “I haven’t understood it correctly because I’m still here.”


At least one person may benefit from Camping’s failure. Author and would-be Doomsday prophet Tim Lahaye is next in line to announce his prediction for the end of the world.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment