Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mistakes, Madeleine Albright and Dead Iraqi Children

Mistakes, Madeleine Albright and Dead Iraqi Children: "

Newsweek has a feature called 'My Favorite Mistake,' where a famous person talks about something they've done wrong.http://www.fair.org/blog/wp-admin/edit.php


This week (7/24/11) it's former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. The mistake she cited was when she wore the wrong pin to a meeting with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, and then said something critical about his Chechnya policy. (The best mistakes are the most self-serving ones, apparently.)


When I saw the headline, I was half-wondering if she'd talk about her famous defense of killing Iraqi children on 60 Minutes (5/12/96):


Leslie Stahl asks Albright: 'We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?'


To which Albright replies: 'I think this is a very hard choice. But the price--we think the price is worth it.'


Iraq did come up in the Newsweek piece, when Albright wrote, 'We had sanctions on Iraq then, and I was instructed to keep saying terrible things about Saddam Hussein.'


I would agree that she said something terrible.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment